Thursday 17 February 2022

Talking Zen with Robert Epstein

Admin of Zen Mind since July 30, 2014


Teacher: Should I start a topic or can I ask you what the purpose of Zen Buddhism is right here?

Robert Epstein: I guess it fits in OK with this post. But why do you wanna ask me that? Why don’t you start by saying what you think the purpose of Zen Buddhism is? I’m not sure why you’re bringing that up. I mean is it because you want to know what the purpose is? Or are you quizzing me to see if I know? Is it a challenge question?

Teacher: My contention is that Zen is what happens when 1st Parent, Subject, and 2nd Parent, Object get together and have a child called Experience. My Physics posts support my understanding. Goal-less Zen practice won't help you achieve the goal of understanding the true nature of reality. You need to practice insight meditation with a specific subject as its goal, such as the phenomenon: 'time'. If you don't want to understand reality's phenomena, Zen might be the better choice.

Robert Epstein: that sounds a little intellectual to me. But I would say that the purpose of Zen is to awaken oneself and others. Subject and object normally get together to create experience. How is that Zen?

Teacher: You might have found a problem with my statement. Zen doesn't have any use for an object to meditate on? What do you awaken to that you weren't aware of while sleeping?

Robert Epstein: That’s a different question. You were talking about subject and object giving rise to experience. Subject and object are usually seen as separate in that formulation. Focusing on an object of meditation, is of course a meditation technique.

Teacher: And an experience arises from it.

Robert Epstein: and…? Not sure what you’re trying to say.

Teacher: You're supporting my claim unless meditating on an object doesn't produce an experience.

Robert Epstein: I still don’t see what your claim is or what you’re getting at. Every experience is an experience. I’m not sure what you’re saying about the meditation experience – what about it?

Teacher: Every experience needs the two Parents, right?

What's the sound of one hand clapping?
There isn't a sound.
It takes two.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Debunking the Hoax that Debunked a Hoax of a Real Confession that A Hoax was Made

A video emerged showing Stanley Kubrick getting interviewed on camera so that he could confess to the world that he was the one who filmed ...